Urinary tract infections - they're painful, irritating and annoyingly tend to crop up when you could really do without one. It’s even more of a nuisance when you’re affected by recurring urine infections. UTIs are very common, with 92 million people affected worldwide. Fortunately, there are actions you can take to reduce your risk of being affected and to help the pesky infection clear up faster if you do come down with one...
What are the symptoms of a urinray tract infection?
- Needing to pass urine suddenly or more frequently than usual
- Experiencing pain or a burning sensation when passing urine
- Smelly or cloudy urine
- Blood in your urine
- Lower abdominal pain
- Feeling tired and/or generally unwell
- Confusion and agitation in elderly people. This can make symptoms particularly difficult to identify for people with a diagnosis of dementia.
How are urinary tract infections treated?
- Completing a course of antibiotics, as prescribed by your GP. It’s important you take the full course of antibiotics (even if you start to feel better). This will help to fully kill the infection. If you stop taking your antibiotics when your symptoms stop, you risk the infection not being fully eradicated and returning in the future.
- Using a D-mannose supplement, such as OVIO restore (find out more below!)
- Staying well-hydrated to help your body flush out the bacteria in your urine
- A hot water bottle can be placed on your abdomen, back or thighs to ease discomfort
D-mannose UTI treatment
More and more people are discovering the benefits of using D-mannose for treating recurring urine infections! Unfortunately, some types of bacteria are becoming more resistant to treatment with antibiotics, and this can make it challenging to treat certain infections.
D-mannose is a simple sugar molecule which is naturally produced by the body. OVIO restore contains this active ingredient, which works by preventing bacteria from attaching to the wall of the bladder. It's then conveniently flushed out of the body when you pass urine. Simply mix the OVIO restore sachet into a glass of water and enjoy the tasty raspberry flavour, all the while knowing you're giving your body the best chances of getting rid of that urine infection, once and for all.
Can you prevent urinary tract infections?
Prevention is better than cure, as the saying goes. You can reduce your risk of developing a urine infection in the first place by:
- Wiping from front to back after going to the toilet
- Emptying your bladder as soon as possible after sex
- Avoid using irritating soaps to clean the genital area
- Wear loose cotton underwear
- Drinking plenty of water